Civil Society Standards
In May of 2016, the Community of Democracies Governing Council committed to increase governmental support for civil society at a time when a number of countries are imposing restrictions on civic space that are incompatible with democracy.
The Community of Democracies will work towards enabling free space for civil society by:
• Ensuring effective coordination of existing mechanisms to protect and strengthen civil society
• Advocating for laws, policies and practices that foster enabling civil society space, and oppose those that unduly impede civil society
• Developing new and innovative ways to provide technical, financial and logistical support to protect and promote freedom of association
• Sharing best practices, including ways to engage in dialogue with civil society
• Endeavouring to undertake diplomatic and coordinated action in support of civil society in countries where it is under threat