The Community of Democracies offers university students and recent graduates the opportunity to spend three to six months working on real projects at the cutting edge of democracy, human rights and diplomacy at the Permanent Secretariat of the Community of Democracies in Warsaw, Poland.
Successful candidates will join a diverse and multicultural team that plans and implements activities linked to transitioning democracies and actors defending their rights. Interns will also develop skills and knowledge on how the Community works with United Nations, the private sector and civil society.
Over the course of the program, interns will be thoroughly engaged with the work of the Community, supporting our experts, helping manage international projects and promoting the values of the Warsaw Declaration.
The Community’s internship program provides opportunities for talented young people to learn alongside some of the world’s leading advocates for democracy and human rights.
Interns play an important in the Community’s work. As a member of the Permanent Secretariat, you can expect to be involved in the following types of tasks:
- Conducting research and analyzing issues associated with democracy and human rights
- Reviewing or editing documents and diplomatic notes
- Contributing to the development of strategic plans, concept notes or project proposals
- Organizing conferences, panel discussions and roundtable discussions with external partners
- Monitoring social media and drafting content for Twitter or Facebook
- Providing input and contributing to the organization’s communication channels
- Attending events on behalf of the Permanent Secretariat
- As passionate as we are about the values contained in the Warsaw
- Declaration and committed to supporting democracy and protecting human rights around the world
- University student or recent graduate with top marks
- Demonstrated interest in democracy, diplomacy, international relations, human rights, civil society, gender equality, diversity, women’s rights and politics
- Professional fluency in English (additional languages are an advantage)
Internship Terms and Deadlines
The application process for the Fall Internship has been closed.
The application deadlines for the next internship will be announced by the end of 2017.
When applying for the internship, candidates are asked to send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with INTERNSHIP in the email subject line:
• CV (no photo)
• Letter of motivation (one page)
All documents must be in English. The internship is unpaid.